How Can I Find Out if I Have COVID-19?
Rapid Results in 15 Minutes
Our Community Testing Sites have added COVID-19 antigen testing (results in 15 minutes), in addition to the traditional PCR testing (results in 1-3 days). The antigen test is not as sensitive as the PCR test. Patients may follow-up a positive antigen result with a PCR test in the same visit to ensure accuracy. Antigen testing is a great option for regular testing for school sports and workplace testing or with a known or suspected exposure. It is not for air travel or when a PCR test is required.
Waiting for Test Results or Feeling Sick?
By now, everyone should know that if you are sick, stay home. However, new evidence suggests that those infected may be contagious longer than the seven days from when symptoms begin. The CDC recommends ending home isolation under the following conditions:
- At least 3 days (72 hours) have passed since the resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications; and
- Improvement of respiratory symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath); and,
- At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared.
For those waiting for their test results:
- If you have had close contact with someone who has COVID-19, stay home and away from others (Do not go to work/school, and avoid public places for 14 days). Check yourself for fever, cough, and shortness of breath for 14 days from the last day you had close contact with the person.
- If you have any COVID-19 symptoms, self-isolate (stay home and away from others, including household members). You can stop self-isolating when: 1) It’s been at least 3 days with no fever without using fever-reducing medication 2) Your symptoms have improved, AND it has been at least 10 days since symptoms first appeared.